Not a drill. Field Notes are officially live.
While I've always kept travel field notes for personal reflection, here I go, documenting a bit more of my world on the internet.
Newport Beach, CA
A quick trip from Phoenix by air or by road, the salty air and sandy shores of Newport Beach greeted me with open (and sunscreen-covered) arms.
When I wasn't sitting steps away from the Pacific Ocean or at the hotel pool, I was visiting local coffee shops and drinking my fair share of Mexican beer. Can you blame me?
Eat & Drink
If you're a coffee fiend like me, here's a breakdown of the four shops I visited... in less than 72 hours.
- Coffee Dose: Best branding, beverage variety and sweetest baristas
- Alta Coffee: Local favorite (as in, there was a line of locals out the door at 10pm)
- Honor Coffee Roasters: Minimal chic and best location, located in the heart of the luxe Lido Marina Village
- Crew Coffee + Creamerie: Lido House doesn't have in-room coffee, but they do give you two complimentary drip coffees at Crew on-site.
While I was able to cram in plenty of coffee, I don't have too many restaurants to report on. I did, however, leave with three Newport staples that I won't stop recommending.
- Bear Flag Fish Co.: Insanely fresh fish tacos, fish burritos and sublime ahi poke served just a stone's throw away from Lido Marina Village. Next time, I'm asking for a bit more of their "Tommy Sauce" on the side. Pro tip: if you have a place to cook in the area, they have a fish market with staple favorites and daily catches.
- The Crack Shack: I'll be dreaming about you, Señor Croque sandwich and Miso Healthy chicken bowl. Bring The Crack Shack to Scottsdale, please!
- Ho Sum Bistro: The server gave stellar recommendations and the number of locals packed into this ultra-casual restaurant should be a telltale sign of its long standing success.
Until next time, Newport Beach.
At the time of posting this Field Note, I am employed by Marriott International. These thoughts are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.